For businesses that use Microsoft systems, the Windows Phone is often regarded as a no-brainer. Because of the deep integration with Microsoft systems and strong security, the Windows Phone system offers a lot. If your business does use these devices, you probably want to ensure that the different devices are named appropriately so that they can be easily identified. Here’s how you can do that.
How to see the name of your Windows Phone
Before we look into changing the name of your Windows Phone, you might want to know how to locate the present name of your phone. To do this:
- Open the Settings app on your device.
- Tap on System.
- Select About.
In the screen that opens you should see useful device information like the name of your phone, model, version number, etc. By default, your device’s name will be Windows Phone.
Changing the name of your Windows Phone
To change the name of your phone plug it into your computer, which needs to have the Windows Phone app for desktops installed. This app can be found here. If you have already synced your phone with your computer, then you should have this app installed already. To change the name of your device:
- Plug your phone into your computer using a USB cord.
- Open the Windows Phone app via your desktop. With some systems this will open automatically.
- Click on Settings followed by Preferences.
- Scroll down to the section that says Name Your Phone and click.
- Input the new name of your phone.
When you plug the device into your computer from now on, the name should be different. The same goes for when you turn on BlueTooth – the phone’s name will become the name of the network.
Another way to change your phone’s name
There is another way to change the name of your device, if for example you don’t have the Windows Phone app installed on your computer. To do this:
- Plug your phone into your computer via a USB cable.
- Open File Explorer on your computer. The easiest way to do this is to open any folder on your desktop.
- Click on Computer which should be in the left-hand vertical bar.
- Right-click on your phone. It should show a phone icon and the name of your phone (Windows Phone by default).
- Select Rename.
- Type in a new name for your device.
If you would like to learn more about using the Windows Phone in your office, contact us today to see how we can help.